Apr 27, 2024, 09:58 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Enterprise Redesign 2020

Started by scifidude79, May 24, 2020, 02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scifidude79

scifieric

You've changed the Impulse Engine vents, I see.  Nice!

This has plenty detail enough to keep the eye entertained.  Excellent work, Chris.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

Thanks Eric. Yeah, I didn't like my original impulse vents.

Prime_8

scifidude79

After a short break, I'm back to work on this. The saucer edge was next, so I started by putting some cutouts for it to add details. The three circular ones on the front are going to be the auxiliary nav deflector and forward sensor array. The ones on the port and starboard sides are obviously going to be the docking ports. And, I added some horizontal lines similar to what they did on the TMP Enterprise because I've always liked that look, though I did less lines so that you can make out the individual lines better. And, I put in the saucer rim windows. I went with more windows than the TOS ship, again similar to the TMP ship. I'll be doing very few (if any) windows on the saucer underside because having a bunch of windows on that aggressive curve makes no sense. I may just take a cue from the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise and have no windows down there. Or I may do some indentations like they did on the Enteprise-D and other TNG era ships to put some windows down there.

scifieric

Chris, that looks spectacular so far!  I'm curious to see what you do with her.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

Thanks Eric.

Quote from: scifieric on Jul 19, 2020, 01:36 amI'm curious to see what you do with her.

Me too. Maybe I should have been working on it this past hour plus, rather than adding stuff to my Netflix playlist and writing a long winded reply over at SFM. ;)

scifieric

Hey, it's all good!  LOL!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

I got the forward sensor/deflector greeblies done. I also added the docking port(s.) The ports are based on other ones from Star Trek. It's a pretty basic design, but there's no need to make it complex. It's (obviously) situated between decks, just like the one on the TMP Enterprise. The airlock would require extra equipment that would make it too large to sit on just one deck. The idea is also that the whole airlock assembly itself can extend outward if necessary to dock with other ships, stations, or whatever. I'm pretty sure that's the way the Voyager airlocks were too.

Anyway, the only thing left to detail on the saucer edge is the impulse engine.

scifidude79

The impulse engines are done, so this will do it for saucer edge details. The saucer bottom is next.

Tralfaz

That looks stunning Chris.

scifieric

This DOES look sensational!  I see you went with impulse engines that are a little more representative of the new movies.  Cool.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

scifidude79

I'm going to work in a little while, so no work will be done on the ship today. However, I decided to render up some full ship shots with higher anti aliasing to take a look at how everything is looking so far. And, since I rendered them anyway, there's no reason not to share them.

Rendering full ship shots gives me an idea of how things are shaping up, as well as giving me an idea of problems (if any) that exist with the mesh. So far, I'm not seeing any.

Freak

This is looks really great Chris. I love what you have done.
The only issue I have is the cut outs for the airlocks. I think they needs some sliding cover over them when not in use, so the cut outs don't break up the lines of the saucer so much.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/