Apr 27, 2024, 10:50 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Side-projects , more games

Started by Prime_8, Jun 18, 2019, 06:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scifidude79

Quote from: scifieric on Jun 19, 2019, 12:15 amBTW Chris, NICE wallpaper!

TrekCore. I took a 1080p screenshot from "The Defector" to use as wallpaper. I've been doing this for quite some time now, just using 1080p screenshots from the TV shows and movies to use as wallpaper.

Prime_8

Good good.
most of my stuff will work for you then. some of my AVR ( Arduino comms stuff won't as it need win only DLL's ) but that's not games that's tools for talking to user made devices.

should run in wine too.  in fact, wine on Linux runs some games better than w10.
w10 home is fine. it's not the beast it used to be. w10 pro does not really do much more than home, and with the removal of forced updates. lol
Windows killed RDP, was too much a security risk.  so apps like team viewer and the like prevail.
BitLocker <> pretty sure came to w10 home as well now.
Trusted boot is pretty good, but even that can be breached now.
The best thing is easier group policies and user management. but well I get all I need on my W10 home

most of the extras of  w10 pro are kind of duffed for the home user and only really come into their power when you are a business. and MS keep popin those features over to the home. lol and hyper -v . lol well it's not in w10 pro, you have to DL and install it still.
virtual box and the like are well supported free ways to do the same. the main big thing now is  home has a 128GB ram limit  Pro is 2TB

BTW I think you're better off in Linux with a dual boot to W10 when you need it.  Windows is moving to be Linux inclusive.
Linux is faster and when set up well, way more stable and secure

scifidude79

The issue I have with Win10 Home has nothing to do with the way it runs or the "extra" features of Pro. The problem is that time and again Microsoft has given Home users the finger. The current (or upcoming, I really don't know) 1903 update will have a feature users have begged for: The ability to defer updates until a time that it's convenient for you, rather than interrupting what you're doing for an update. At least, that's how it will be for Pro. Home users will only be able to defer an update for a specific amount of time then, ready or not, it will install.

I don't know why Microsoft continuously says "f*** you" to home users, but they do. Home users make up a good chunk of their market share, as it's still considered the "best" OS for gaming. Though, many people who think that are ones who have never tried Linux, they're going by old preconceptions and the lies that Microsoft has spread about Linux over the years. Gaming on Linux actually keeps getting better, especially with stuff like Steam Proton, which is Steam's own built in compatibility layer. I can run a number of Windows games on my Linux system, and they keep adding compatibility for more games with each version of Proton. Valve is actually still very much committed to cross platform compatibility.

The laptop is coming with a Pro license anyway, because it's a used Dell Latitude business laptop. The license is new, though, as the seller is a "licensed Microsoft refurbisher." (though, they didn't say if they're a licensed Dell refurbisher) I'll be dual booting it, as that's the best way to go. Besides, it never hurts to have a licensed copy of Windows.

I'm not particularly fond of WINE. Getting stuff to work on it is a crap shoot. Plus, the version of PlayOnLinux in the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories is borked. While not necessary, PlayOnLinux does make installing and configuring games with WINE easier. And, it allows you to use other versions of WINE than the one installed on the system, which may not be compatible with what you're trying to install.

Prime_8

the real point of dumping update s. they laid off their in-house testing division . and instead use all users as the test targets.

I have had no issues with updates. I force when I want them. There are ways to actually halt them for 12 months.
pro you will still have to do the mandatory update unless you set up a group policy to avoid it.  on the flip side the numbe of bad bug's that have been patched for 3rd part devices and software through the updates.
Best thing about Pro is that it makes things quite a bit easier to do . and 1 big plus
you can opt to install as a teats bench, and it then becomes less cranky about hardware changes as long as you return to the original config now and then.

also very soon to a windows 10  install near you, is coming support for Linux binaries.

in the end, if force the update process when I'm waiting for stuff in real life .  and my w10 99% of the time respects the do not update times.

They will have to get with the program because Linux will eventually pave them over if they dont.

Prime_8

oh got more done on the 2nd ship type and a test of gun motion by putting a simple sweeping animation on them.

I have not started the texture on the smaller one. Nor have I finished the texture on the larger one.

scifidude79

The new ship looks great.

To be honest, I hate Windows 10. The last version of Windows I really liked was XP. Win98SE is my favorite version of all time. So, I'm going to complain about Windows. Like I said, I only have 10 Pro coming because that's what's coming with that computer.

Prime_8

^^ but  W10 is growing on me. i have to use XP at work and i have caught myself cursing it and w7 quite a few times now .LOl

Got textures 90% done for the small boat

Prime_8

in the game engine

I'll have to play with normals strength.
and work on the turret next

scifidude79

Jun 19, 2019, 10:45 pm #23 Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 10:47 pm by scifidude79
Your texture work is always great. :)

Quote from: Prime_8 on Jun 19, 2019, 09:05 pm^^ but  W10 is growing on me. i have to use XP at work and i have caught myself cursing it and w7 quite a few times now .LOl

Win7 I was OK with. It was no XP, but it was tolerable. But then I built a computer and Win7 didn't like something about it, so I kept getting BSODs. I hadn't had much of a BSOD problem in ages, so that really pissed me off. But, by then I was running Linux in a dual boot, so I just ran it more than Windows. I've also totally gone without Windows a handful of times, mostly because I don't like buying those expensive licenses unless I buy it with a computer. This time, I'm not really missing Windows because I'm using Blender for CGI, but I'll probably still keep that Win10 install on that laptop and setup a dual boot.

I'm not sure what we have at work, some Enterprise version of Windows from the XP or Vista era. I know because Chrome gives you constant warnings that XP and Vista are no longer supported. But, that doesn't matter because our computers run on a private network system, not the Internet.

scifieric

Prime_8, you are a wizard with textures!  Great job!  And yes, I love both boats.  Excellent work!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Prime_8

W7 went crap when MS changed how USB stack would work. making it so devices cannot lock a USB device.

thanks man .  @ Eric

also there was an old security update to W7 that f'ed over the power management and sleep modes for many mobo's even laptop ones. resulting in huge boot times if you rig falls asleep.

>>>

so i may have spent too much time on the gun vs how bit it actually will be on screen, and possibly bit influenced by Borderlands 2 . LOl

Prime_8

Jun 20, 2019, 01:27 am #26 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2019, 01:28 am by Prime_8
also fixed the small boat missing a stack

again why I did so many small details when teh play will probably never be this close.

scifidude79

Win7 was a miss for me when it didn't fix the bigger problems with Vista, like software compatibility. EOL Vista fully updated basically was Win7.

Quote from: Prime_8 on Jun 20, 2019, 01:27 amagain why I did so many small details when teh play will probably never be this close.

Self gratification. Also, it looks good. :)

Prime_8

code wise vista was a night mare.  LOL vist was a huge mistake in control of running exe's and permissions.
they relaxed almost all of it in w7. they try to make cool and pretty work with what they thought AUC , or user control . in the end  they went too fare and may just fine exe that worked in XP  did not work in Vista, that magically worked in 7

LOL MS is a mess. lol

Oh that reminds me that's is one good reason to get pro . ...  you can install XP mode in it and run your old XP stuff in the Pro's VM. yo just need a  valid install disk and Lic for XP.
even better you can set it to shell integrate. so um you get a XP start button next to you w10 one.
and the XP apps will appear to be running just fine in your w10 . you could do it in W7 too. but it's much better in w10.

>>
re the textures on the gun . now i want to do all the ships of one race in that style. hahah also i freaking love Blender 2.8 for this. it now does in 1 app what I used to have 3 or 4 to do.

scifidude79

I don't remember if I have an XP install disc or not, I may.

Though, I agree that MS is a mess. I really do prefer Linux. A lot of the old XP and older stuff that I have actually does well in WINE. Though, there are always exceptions.