Apr 27, 2024, 10:27 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Moonbase machines

Started by Smallworld, Mar 06, 2021, 03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallworld

Hi Guys, how you all doing? Strange times at the end of the world for everybody I think. I was laid off at the end of December (actually was glad, not a great environment) and the outlook for retail fitouts (and their designers- me) is bleak in Ireland. Soooo, I'm going to go free lance for a while and see how that goes. I'm going to see if I can actually make any kind of living out 3D / illustration / contact design. As part of this I'm finally getting a portfolio website together and am finishing off and fine tuning various projects. Thats what I'm showing you here, four craft from a fictional moon setting. Probably think Space 2049, that kind of thing. One dates from about ten years ago that I just textured to the four engine transport which is all new. Hope you like, stay strong and keep well everybody!

scifieric

Wow!  Beautiful work, dude!

curious to your thoughts on the tiny plates.  Protective?  Energy absorbing?  Just interesting detail?
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Smallworld

Thanks for that Eric :)

I did the panels to break up the surfaces and when texturing I tried out a gold foil type material. Looked terrible. I tried a few other things and then set on the hex tiles. I took a product shot of some wall tiles and modified it trying a few different colours. Gold looked good but ultimately grey won out. I see them as thermal / radiation / impact protection that can be easily repaired as needed. Also I think it looks cool, which is the main reason. I wanted to build a family world look across the various craft and the surface tiling helps with this.

ozylot

Cool designs. I like the tiles.
I wonder how they would look in a black shiny material like the heat shielding they used on the space shuttle?
- Ozy -

Prime_8