May 13, 2024, 11:39 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The K2 Project

Started by Shaw, May 21, 2019, 11:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaw

Since we are starting over here, I'll just give this threat the same name I used for the overall project.

Back in 2007 I started researching the 33 inch Enterprise studio model. Back then I stated...

"I know that there is pretty much no possibility of me ever making a true replica of the 11 foot model (where would I put such a thing?), but the 33" model is within the realm of possibility and (more importantly) practicability."

About a month later I had produced the first version of my plans for the model. Knowing that the best way to look for flaws was to build a model based on those plans, I set out building a study model (at two-thirds scale). Based on what I learned, I revised my plans and tried again with a second study model (also at two-thirds scale).

By that point I figured I had refined my plans enough (and gained enough skill as a model builder) to make an attempt at a studio scale replica. I've put up a simplified chronicle of the building of the model here. And this is what I ended up with as a final product...

Here are some additional images...

Click images to enlarge

And I wanted to thank you guys for all the encouragement and support! It means a lot to me.

Freak

She has turned out really nice!

Now if your anything like Eric, can you send me this one when you start and even closer version to the filming model.  ;)
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

scifidude79

This has been an amazing project. That finished model is just stellar. Man, it's hard to believe it's been 12 years.

scifieric

Quote from: Shaw on May 21, 2019, 11:21 amAnd I wanted to thank you guys for all the encouragement and support! It means a lot to me.
Shaw, you defined and created your own unique goal.  Then you made it happen.  It happens to be a subject that is near and dear to a lot of our hearts, and I can state that it is certainly near and dear to mine!

I love this project and especially the end result.  It has been a joy to watch as you progress.

I called in my wife to look at your model images and stated that this USS Enterprise was made by the same fellow who made the Shuttlecraft next to my desk.  She was VERY impressed, by both.

You will always have a home here, Sir.  I admire your work.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Shaw

Thanks a ton guys!

Quote from: scifieric on May 21, 2019, 10:03 pmI called in my wife to look at your model images and stated that this USS Enterprise was made by the same fellow who made the Shuttlecraft next to my desk.  She was VERY impressed, by both.
Thanks!

Ummm... what about the tribble?

scifieric

Quote from: Shaw on May 29, 2019, 01:05 pmUmmm... what about the tribble?
The tribble has its own chair in my den.  When my wife comes in to keep me company, she pets the tribble.  That's the big white guy.  The smaller brown fellow sits with my other tribbles on the shelf next to the chair.  So, they're all quite close together, in the same room to keep each other company.

Of course, I feed them VERY little.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Shaw

Okay, so I took a few more pictures. Here are some I played around with...

Click images to enlarge

And here are a hand full of additional plain shots of the model...

Click images to enlarge

scifieric

Shaw, this goes right to the fan in me.  These images are FANTASTIC!  The second image with the blue background really makes me think of shots of the Enterprise from Requiem for Methuselah.

Simply spectacular.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

Those are some great pics, Shaw.

Shaw

Thanks guys!

I had been wanting to do the test of power shot for awhile, but between having less space to work with and a much larger model, I had to live with some compromises in how I could shoot/light the model. It isn't exactly the same as the shot in Requiem for Methuselah, but it works as an image on its own. And this was the main reason I made it...

... which is sorta like how I used my shuttlecraft in this title image...

I figure if I can replace the original model in a scene with one of my models without them standing out too much, maybe they're okay representations/replicas.

Freak

Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

scifieric

Quote from: Shaw on Jun 12, 2019, 04:07 amI figure if I can replace the original model in a scene with one of my models without them standing out too much, maybe they're okay representations/replicas.
They aren't just "okay", they are fantastic!  You do excellent work, Shaw!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Shaw

Thanks! I don't trust my own opinion (good or bad) of my work, but it is helpful to hear from artists I admire.

Here are a few more images with a retro look applied to them...

Click image to enlarge

I also updated my galleries for the model with a retro look...

Click to view gallery

scifieric

Shaw, this doesn't happen very often and deserves a mention the few times it does happen.  I was looking at the black and white shot, the third posted in your latest missive, the angle from below starboard, and for a moment it was like I was looking at the original model.

It is that well done.  I assure you.

Excellent work.  Just exceptional.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

Those are some excellent photos. :)