May 09, 2024, 06:23 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Scifieric's 2019 USS Enterprise

Started by scifieric, Oct 09, 2019, 12:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scifidude79

Quote from: scifieric on Feb 03, 2020, 10:52 pmI used to!  Now, I have a little scene I created where I can just change the number of stars I want Blender to generate and then I place a camera.  When I get something close to what I want, I render!  Easy!

Interesting. Actual modeled stars or just a procedural environment? I use a procedural in Lightwave, or I just throw an image of stars I make in GIMP in the background. Depends on my needs. :)

Prime_8

scifieric

Quote from: scifidude79 on Feb 03, 2020, 11:14 pmInteresting. Actual modeled stars or just a procedural environment? I use a procedural in Lightwave, or I just throw an image of stars I make in GIMP in the background. Depends on my needs. :)
Modeled stars.  As a matter of fact, they do not even give off light.  My camera has it's own child point light.  This way, stars appear and disappear rather like the original series.  For other uses, like trying to look like a "real" starscape, then emissive points and considerably fewer stars. 
Quote from: Prime_8 on Feb 04, 2020, 01:11 am^^^

me >> Mind >>>> blown
Cool.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Prime_8

i'm a mix i suppose too . i use a app that makes a sky box proceduraly .
then i mush it all together . LOL

scifidude79

Quote from: scifieric on Feb 04, 2020, 01:56 pmModeled stars.  As a matter of fact, they do not even give off light.  My camera has it's own child point light.  This way, stars appear and disappear rather like the original series.  For other uses, like trying to look like a "real" starscape, then emissive points and considerably fewer stars.

That's cool stuff. :)

scifieric

Quote from: Prime_8 on Feb 04, 2020, 03:14 pmi'm a mix i suppose too . i use a app that makes a sky box proceduraly .
then i mush it all together . LOL
That's awesome!  We've all got our "shortcuts" I imagine!
Quote from: scifidude79 on Feb 04, 2020, 10:46 pmThat's cool stuff. :)
Thanks Chris!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifieric

I grabbed a shot from the Roddenberry Vault blu ray set.  It was a picture of the 11 foot Enterprise being filmed.  I made the background entirely black, and cropped out the guy who was crouching below the model and I turned it into one of my rotating desktop backgrounds. 

I asked my wife how she liked that one shot and she asked if it was one of mine.  I laughed and told her that it was the real thing from back in the day.  She peered at it hard, then said, "It looks like one of yours." and she walked away.  So, I've tried to make a similar image with my old USS Enterprise.  All done in Blender with a little "film grain" noise added in Blender.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Freak

Dude that is freaking awesome!
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

scifidude79

I really like that you captured that green tint that the ship sometimes had.

Prime_8

also captured the effect of your ship on me . Like your Wife, I'm now more inclined to assume still shots are of yours .

scifieric

Quote from: Freak on Feb 05, 2020, 07:36 amDude that is freaking awesome!
Dean, you are very kind!  Thank you!
Quote from: scifidude79 on Feb 05, 2020, 01:30 pmI really like that you captured that green tint that the ship sometimes had.
Thank you, Chris!  It is one of the Blender Color Management choices (actually, about three choices to get to this result, plus gamma and exposure settings).  I appreciate the kind words!
Quote from: Prime_8 on Feb 05, 2020, 02:15 pmalso captured the effect of your ship on me . Like your Wife, I'm now more inclined to assume still shots are of yours .
Thank you, Scott!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifieric

There was a shot similar to this in the opening credits of The Cage, but it was shot with the three foot model.  This is to see what it might have looked like with the 11 foot model.  All done in Blender 3D, of course.

Thanks for looking in!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

I love that shot. Both the original and yours.

scifieric

Quote from: scifidude79 on Feb 07, 2020, 05:13 amI love that shot. Both the original and yours.
Thank you, Chris!  You're very kind!

Yeah, I've always loved the original shot.  It was reused in the titles for the Animated Series too!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifieric

Tallguy saw this image on another forum and asked for a "clean" version of it.

3DSciFi.com  Welcome!