May 08, 2024, 11:46 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The Enterprise Battleship

Started by Enterprise-E, Jun 26, 2019, 01:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Enterprise-E

Jun 26, 2019, 01:13 pm Last Edit: Jun 26, 2019, 07:32 pm by Enterprise-E
In one of the innumerable parallel universes that make up the multiverse, Earth developed a little differently from the rest. The cold war of the 20th century never ended, and continued on through the greater part of the 21th century. Earth never settled into the relative peace, and developments focused less on consumer conveniences, and more on military hardware. The first warp flight was performed by the still existing Sovied Union, and subsequent first contact with the Vulcans was made. This finally brought forth the unification of the planet, for now entire humanity's paranoia was shifted against the possible new outside threats. The Terran Union was formed, with the Insterstellar Navy being it's premier defense force to represent it across the stars.

One of their great starships is the Enterprise class heavy cruiser, sporting an impressive array of weaponry, electronics, and defensive systems. 7x2 heavy cannons, 4x2 rapid fire point defense cannons, 5 torpedo launchers give it excellent weapon coverage in all directions. Multiple redundant elecronic sensor and jamming systems, state of the art shields, and heavy, multi-layer armoring round out it's defenses. It's sturdy structure can take a multitude of hits while still remaining functional.

-----------------

How i envision this alternate universe: First, i have to declare, that in my head canon, the recently popular 'prime timeline' doesn't mean classic Star Trek. Prime timeline is the thing where Discovery, and pre-split Kelvin timeline takes place. So i don't know what to call the classic Trek, that includes TOS - ENT, and the old movies up to Nemesis. I guess call it just that.. classic Trek.

So, compared to classic Trek, in my alternate universe Earth is a lot more militaristic. But not evil like the Mirror Universe. They just never sunk into the comfort of long lasting peace, and as such remained ever vigilant toward possible threats. Technology is different. It's less sophisticated, but more brute-force. Ships are slower and less agile than classic Federation ships, but are generally more durable and heavy. Defenses are based less on shields alone, and as such armour is a lot stronger and actually plays a role of defending the ship even when shields are down. Weapons are less precise, and refined, but have more raw firepower.

-----------------

So... this is basically a Star Trek ship with Star Wars / reallife naval ship detailing. Based on my concept art from around 10 years ago, which went surprisingly popular for what it was. It was my take on the slew of alternate Enterprise fan designs in response to the then controversial JJ'Prise design. I obviously didnt take it too seriously :D I started working on a 3D model, but it always was a on-and-off side project. I was never happy with it's looks and kept redoing parts of it, which i still do.

Some of you might be familiar with it, since it had a thread on the old forums. So i'm posting the concept art, and a few full-ship renders as a baseline, then the newest developments.

Note: Thread title remained 'Enterprise Battleship', so those who happen to have followed it in the past could recognize it at a glance. But i decided to keep the ship's un-universe classification as a heavy cruiser, as it fits in with it being a large, but not the largest kind of capital ship. Leaving room open for ships such as the Federation class dreadnought, and other heavier ships to still exist in my alternate universe. On that note, what do you guys think the Excelsior is? Was it just a next-gen heavy cruiser of it's time, or a battleship?

You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.

Smallworld

Prime_8

Ha! yeah gunz! now were talking

Freak

Always love this ship.

For classic Trek I call it cannon Timeline, the JJ stuff and anything CBS is doing at the moment is Prime or non-cannon Trek. ;)

As for the Excelsior I would see it as a Battleship.
The Ambasador Class as an updated Heavy Currier. She smaller than than the Excelsior but bigger than the Connie. Has a smaller crew count but more firepower.
As for the Galaxy Class, I would see that as somesort of Aircraft Carrier in your universe or even a hybrid of a carrier and Battlership. As the ship can seperate. The saucer could be the carrier and the secondary hull could be the battleship. But saying that the saucer still has some big guns.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

scifidude79

Looks great. I've always liked this one, it's nice to see it back. :)

scifieric

This is EXTREMELY PRETTY!  I think it CALLS OUT for some animation!  I'd love to see this in action!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Prime_8

it one even a Klingon would have to think twice about messing with

ozylot

Oooh fun! Reminds me of a ship I did once, but this is way better.  Nice work!
- Ozy -

Prime_8

I know that ship I think, I think I still have it someplace.

Enterprise-E

Feb 07, 2020, 10:31 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2020, 10:35 am by Enterprise-E
So i re-did the nacelle pylons from scratch, for the 3rd time. Stuff like this is why this stupid model never finishes. It now has a more fluid connection to both the secondary hull, and the nacelles. But most importantly, and what made me decide to do it: They now have an even width througout, and are not becoming narrower toward the secondary hull. Which was a feature that i totally hated. They are supposed to be massive and armored compared to normal Federation ships after all. Also, all the actual Federation ships do have even widths, so it seemed that much more off that mine didn't.

(the front view is supposed to be an animated gif that shows a direct comparison of new vs old, hope it works!)

You cannot see attachments on this board.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

scifidude79

Yep, the animation works. :)

I definitely like the shape of the new one better, and they're thicker too, which is always a good thing. Especially for a battleship.

scifieric

Oh man, wow!  Very pretty!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Prime_8

for this one i love how the upper bridge / flying deck look like a old corvette bridge or such . Or a coast guard cutter .
very military like.

Freak

Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/