May 08, 2024, 11:20 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Smallworlds hoppers

Started by Smallworld, May 17, 2019, 01:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallworld

Hi guys, first post in our shiny new home. A big thank you to Eric for the sper job og getting it all up and running :)

I'm still working away on various small ships for my Legion universe. Have a bit of back story context worked out now too.

Anyway, this is the latest, just finished today at lunch time. Its a light interceptor and belongs to the IX Dragon Legion. Its quite a challenge making a single swivel engine pod design work but I'm very happy with this one. I have three more "singles" in production, will just post them here as they progress.

scifidude79

Great to see you made it to the new digs, Smallworld. :)

That's a really fantastic hopper design. It's nice to see you're still building up your universe.

scifieric

Not only is that cool-looking, but extraordinarily well done to boot!  Beautiful work!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Road Warrior

Hell, that is all kinds of interesting. Love the colors too. Good to see you back around as well.

Freak

That a great looking interceptor.
The only issue I have with it, is with the engine when it up. I take it this is for landing and take-off?
If that the case, then it block the pilot view of what's in front of them. It would have been better to put the cockpit in front of the engine then you would not have this issue.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

Smallworld

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

I havn't been doing much modelling lately and its defo theraputic to get lost in something not work related.

I tried a single engine design before, called it a Mantis, with the cockpit out front. Its quite a good design but the ship naturally ends up sort of stocky and blunt. I see this as more of a ground pounder. The real problem with a single swivelling engine is that to hover it needs to be right in the centre of mass so the cockpit has to go somewhere, either in front, behind or to the side (have an assymetrical hopper in the works :) ). I have two small auxilliary turbines in the tail booms to help with hover balance. I really wanted this one to look sleek and speedy, so a rear cockpit was the only real option. I think cameras would OK for landing.

I have developed the Legion back story a bit more so there is more space for new designs!

Smallworld

In formation, Mantis and Swift.

scifidude79

scifieric

3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Freak

Yeah the Mantis is Blocky when next to the Swift.
Both look cool though.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

ozylot

Cool little ships! Nice work
- Ozy -

Prime_8

every time I see them I start thinking about how I could make em in foam.

scifidude79

Quote from: Prime_8 on Jun 18, 2019, 07:11 amevery time I see them I start thinking about how I could make em in foam.

Just be glad you're Candadian. The stupid FAA down here has been cracking down on model flying due to drones. ::)

Prime_8

hmm yeah. that sux .  we have some new rules and shiz up here. makes fomaie more accessible.
weight and altitude restrictions ... so foam building and brushless make for the best things.  but since I lost my right ear  (hearing and inner ear function ) i cant follow a fast-moving R/C in the air without getting sick.  my whoel fleet of foamies sist dormant. i have an icon 5 now for 2 years that has not made its maiden flight.

I mean I look at it ( and as someone who has had one of his foamie designs become commercial )  , your interceptor is perfect for a EDF . hell you engine pod is essentially an EDF pod. you render showing the rear blades even looks like an EDF to me.
see >

biplane config would allow for slower flight. technically it's a triplane