May 02, 2024, 09:49 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Jesse Stone - Warning! Not Science Fiction

Started by scifieric, Jan 08, 2023, 05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scifieric

I usually only post about Star Trek.  If not Star Trek, then Battlestar Galactica.  And yes, those are two absolute favorites of mine, but they don't always fit my mood.  And today is one of those days.

I'm having a down day, and I'm not sure why.  But on a day like today, I'm excessively glad for the Jesse Stone movies.  They star Tom Selleck and as far as I'm concerned, they're very well done.

I just re-watched Night Passage, the "first" movie in the series.  First as in this is the movie version of the first novel, where the lead character comes to a small town to become the Chief of Police.  It's got some action, but it's not an action movie.  It's more of a character piece.  The main character is hooked on drinking, but can control it so that he doesn't lose his job ... at least this time.

The lead character (Jesse Stone portrayed by Selleck) has to move from one section of the country to the other, has to put down his dog who is already dying, can't get over his first wife, and finally finds a job that motivates him to do whatever is necessary to make the right thing(s) happen.

I find that both the book and the movie are touching.  I can't quite say why, except I think that they are both very well done.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Four Mad Men

Well I hope you are no longer down Eric.

I've never even heard of these movies much less the books.  I'll have to check them out.

And although slightly belated... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you are yours sir!

scifieric

Jan 09, 2023, 02:51 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 09, 2023, 02:53 am by scifieric
Quote from: Four Mad Men on Jan 09, 2023, 01:25 amWell I hope you are no longer down Eric.

I've never even heard of these movies much less the books.  I'll have to check them out.

And although slightly belated... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you are yours sir!
I'm listening/watching Don Rickles visiting Craig Ferguson on the Late, Late Show!  He makes me laugh!  I needed something like this.

If you do get the chance to watch the movies or read the first few books, I truly hope you enjoy them.  I know that I do, even though they are often VERY sad.  It is one of the few franchises where things can happen to a character, terrible things, and yet it isn't because they are getting rid of the character.  When they get rid of a character (they did get rid of one) they just get rid of them.

I think it is a great series.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  I wish  you only the best!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!