May 10, 2024, 01:17 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Blender Performance?

Started by Tralfaz, May 19, 2020, 02:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tralfaz

Hi folks.  I use Cinema 4D but am reaching a bottleneck in performance.  I have a scene with 10.3K objects in it and 1.3 million polygons.  C4D has really bogged down and is almost impossible to use.  What is the largest model or scene that you have built and did you notice any performance issues?

scifieric

I tend to do things in sections, so background in one render, foreground in another.  The slowdown is if I fill the entire screen and I'm doing blu ray resolution, then it can take quite a while to render, no matter what the renderer.

Supposedly this is a lot FASTER in the latest version of Blender, but I've hesitated moving over to it.  I haven't had time to really learn it.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Tralfaz

Thanks Eric.  I've got one animation  rendering right now that is taking over 10 minutes per frame.

scifieric

Quote from: Tralfaz on May 20, 2020, 03:27 pmThanks Eric.  I've got one animation  rendering right now that is taking over 10 minutes per frame.
That's not bad at all.  I've had high resolution renders that take more than double that per frame.  Ugh!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Tralfaz

It is mainly the hair that is the killer.  The transparency maps make the hair look great but is a huge cost in render time.

scifieric

Quote from: Tralfaz on May 21, 2020, 05:45 pmIt is mainly the hair that is the killer.  The transparency maps make the hair look great but is a huge cost in render time.
Hair, eh?  Are you doing organics?
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Tralfaz

Ya.  I am redoing the beginning of the Lost In Space pilot from the 60's.  Alpha Control has tons of computers with knobs, switches and blinking lights.  There are a lot of people in the scene and they all have hair.  The ladies with the long hair take the longest to render.  This first opening scene is taking around 20 hours to render.  Hope it is worth it in the end!

scifieric

Fantastic!  I want to see what you turn out!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!