May 10, 2024, 07:29 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Started by scifieric, Aug 19, 2022, 08:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scifieric

I watched Star Trek: Discovery for the first two seasons, and that's when they introduced Captain Pike and the "old" version of the Enterprise.  I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Star Trek: Discovery.  It is ... okay, I guess.  I will say that the effects are fantastic.

Still, at the end of the last episode of the first season of Star Trek: Discovery, they introduced the USS Enterprise.  I have to say that I was thrilled!  The ship looks different than the version of the ship I grew up with, but that is of little importance.  It was the ship.  It was commanded by Captain Christopher Pike.  The ship had some odd problem that required extensive work and Pike was transferred to the Discovery for a season.

That was an interesting way (I presume) to introduce a new version of Captain Pike to the current version of Star Trek.  I would imagine that it was a way to gauge the response to such a character.

I presume that it was successful because they created Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and gave us the Star Trek that a lot of us have been missing.  The visual effects are far greater in quality than anything we've ever seen before and it concerns the voyages of the starship Enterprise, this time under the command of Captain Christopher Pike, the commander of the ship immediately prior to James T. Kirk.

There are only ten episodes for the first season of Strange New Worlds, and in my opinion, they are spectacular!

I have been a fan of Star Trek for as long as the series has existed.  Star Trek started when I was a kid and I absolutely love the original Star Trek.  I enjoy both the original series and their movies, yes, including Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  This new series is the closest thing I've seen to another season of the original Star Trek, with the starship being commanded by the immediate prior commander of the ship, Christopher Pike.

If you are a fan of the original Star Trek series, I heartily recommend this new show.  I hope it continues giving me (and the rest of the fans of the original series) what I consider is real Star Trek.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Tralfaz

I was not impressed with Discovery at all.  The ship was just plain ridiculous as was its method of transportation, the spore drive.  So, I never saw Pike on Discovery.  Didn't see him until about the 4th episode of SNW.  The difference was like night and day between the two series.  After SNW ended, I downloaded all episodes and binge watched them all at once.  Gotta' say how impressed I was with it, its characters, ships, stories, etc.  This Spock was much more like the Nimoy Spock than the Kelvin Spock.  If there is one thing that bugged me was this version of Jim Kirk.  In my opinion, not even close to the Shatner Kirk.

scifieric

Quote from: Tralfaz on Aug 20, 2022, 02:27 amI was not impressed with Discovery at all.  The ship was just plain ridiculous as was its method of transportation, the spore drive.  So, I never saw Pike on Discovery.  Didn't see him until about the 4th episode of SNW.  The difference was like night and day between the two series.  After SNW ended, I downloaded all episodes and binge watched them all at once.  Gotta' say how impressed I was with it, its characters, ships, stories, etc.  This Spock was much more like the Nimoy Spock than the Kelvin Spock.  If there is one thing that bugged me was this version of Jim Kirk.  In my opinion, not even close to the Shatner Kirk.

I agree with you about all of it, including the new version of Kirk.  But still, I absolutely love Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.  It FEELS like Star Trek!  I've been missing that for a LONG time!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!