SMF - Just Installed!

Blender 2.8 Blender Guru "Big Deal"

Started by scifieric, Aug 01, 2019, 10:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scifieric

3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Freak

I watched that last night.
I don't think I will use Blender 2.8 for the rest of my current build.
But I will try on the next or wait until he upload a Tut on how to build something and therefore find where everything has been moved to quicker instead spending most of the time looking for things.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

Tallguy

Andrew is awesome.  (And he's on Corridor Crew's VFX Artists React to Bad & Great CGi!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Cv7x6jjYQ&t=0s)

I've found 2.8 to be a mixed bag so far.  There are a lot of cool things.  LOVING collections.

Reference images is a big change but it's super easy to set up.  My only complaint is that putting a reference image in a camera and having one as a plane in a view doesn't feel as connected as I would like.  I don't have an answer to what I'd like better.  I did figure out that hiding the camera also hides the image, so that's good.  (Again, COLLECTIONS!  Put all the refs into a collection - including the camera - and then show and hide as needed.)

But there's a lot of changes in the interest of new users that break Blender's original mission of "one hand on keyboard, one hand on mouse".  (The counter argument could be made and probably has been that Blender is a little too feature full for that paradigm to really work anymore.)

The funniest one is where I struggle between view modes (wire, solid, rendered, etc.), but I also realize that my old method was "hit combinations of Z key until it looks like what I want".  The new method is both more intuitive (or at least streamlined) and has a better visual cue to tell you what you're looking at.

Not QUITE into the radial menus yet.  I could see someone building the muscle memory to get good at them but I haven't yet. 

The one feature I haven't used at all is the favorites feature.  I should fix that.  (What maniac took subdivide off of a hotkey?)

There is an option to use old key mapping or even common maps from other apps.  I tend to be against that sort of thing because (IMHO) it makes it harder to learn things from shared sources like tutorials.

I have not touched any of the animation or the sequence editor.  Strictly modeling with a tiny bit of texturing.  Although I think with Eevee I may get back into animating.  Sure, why not?

Oh, and I miss switching between views with a hotkey, and having scenes tied to views (I'm missing that a little bit less as I'm getting better at organizing with collections.)
All I ask is atallship...

scifieric

It sounds like you've played with it more than I have.  I'll have to find a tutorial or two and get working in it.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Tallguy

Quote from: scifieric on Aug 05, 2019, 10:54 pmIt sounds like you've played with it more than I have.  I'll have to find a tutorial or two and get working in it.

It'll be nice that the tutes coming out now will have less of a moving target to go after.  Andrew did a three part series a while back and it's still mostly solid.  But some things moved around and a few more things got added.
All I ask is atallship...

Prime_8

i am lucky that i stayed out of blender mostly until 2.8, the lil' bit I did before just let me become familiar with the bass hotkeys.

Coming from Max, blender feels comfier now. I love the tabbed workspaces at the top. sculpting is better, but if you are really into sculpting there is a special branch of blender just to enhance the sculpting tools.

what I like the most, for me is how easy the UV mapping and unwrapping is. I think they should have made an auto box projection, but then that can be done by hand .. so that means I could eventually make a script for it.
I have added a couple of hard surface tool plugins that lek me build mechanical stuff a fair bit easier.

All the mesh assets and some of the computational meshes ( navigation for AI, and collisions) for my RTS game were a built-in Blender.

From a game makers perspective is really good, I have not touched the video editing stuff yet as I have commercial tool that does that.

scifieric

Quote from: Prime_8 on Oct 10, 2019, 03:04 pmi am lucky that i stayed out of blender mostly until 2.8, the lil' bit I did before just let me become familiar with the bass hotkeys.

Coming from Max, blender feels comfier now. I love the tabbed workspaces at the top. sculpting is better, but if you are really into sculpting there is a special branch of blender just to enhance the sculpting tools.

what I like the most, for me is how easy the UV mapping and unwrapping is. I think they should have made an auto box projection, but then that can be done by hand .. so that means I could eventually make a script for it.
I have added a couple of hard surface tool plugins that lek me build mechanical stuff a fair bit easier.

All the mesh assets and some of the computational meshes ( navigation for AI, and collisions) for my RTS game were a built-in Blender.

From a game makers perspective is really good, I have not touched the video editing stuff yet as I have commercial tool that does that.
Wow!  Nice going, Scott!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!