May 20, 2024, 01:24 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Star Trek News and Rumour's

Started by Freak, May 13, 2019, 11:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scifidude79

They need someone who can produce the show without interference. IE: let others make the creative decisions, just sign off on things.

If it's true, that is.

Freak

It look like this story could be true.
I have seen another two places mention this. Just need a Statement from CBS to announce it now.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

MadKoifish

As I figured they would find something to break the contract vs pretending he did something and promote him elsewhere harmless.

Likely it was a offer to payout his contract for a fraction of the tenure at the rate agreed upon. Then again who knows until official word comes down and even then it might be what said but not what is.

Too bad the Picard series had to be contaminated by it. Then again focusing on a individual in trek ehhh. I remember how people hated the gen films for the whole "picard and data show" feel.

I just want less of this internal demons bullshit they have been vomiting out since ENT. I still wont forgive ENT for turning the Vulcans into evil nannys and bigots.

Freak

Yeah the early Vulcans in Ent were crap, but at least Manny Cotto corrected that towards the end.

Anyway some more news has broke. It looks like Bad Robot has signed a deal with Warner Brothers and heading over there.
This is the deal JJ has been shopping around for, for sometime now. (Though I am not sure how he been able to do this deal while working on Star Wars Episode IX. He could not have been full focused on fixing that mess if he also getting his company a huge step up in Hollywood.)

So with Bad Robot leaving Paramount for WB and the rumour of Kurtzman being bought out of his contract. Does this mean they have given up on Trek? (Rumour has it that Alt licensing that Paramount/ Bad Robot has with CBS is up for renewal this year. For Bad Robot to keep the licence they have they need to have a film in preproduction which is not happening at the moment.)

I for one hope so, as it would mean that CBS and Paramount can sort out this whole licensing issue.
However Picard which is in production will still be made under this licence just like STD. So even if CBS can fix it with Kurtzman gone and get it out at the original planed time (End of 2019) it still going to be a duded.

Speaking of STD, I have heard that the writer have not even started writing any scripts for season 3. Given the time of year, it should be in production now to get a season 3 out for the end of the year or beginning of next. This would indicated that even though it has been green lighted for a season 3, CBS has not given it a budget and therefore can not go into production leaving it in limbo and possibly being cancelled quietly when Picard comes out.

MadKoifish

Jun 18, 2019, 07:26 am #64 Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 07:33 am by MadKoifish
No ammount or reconning can fix what was put in place due to the early eps of that series. Claming they found enlightment due to a regime change is laughable at best. No what they did early on just eliminated the whole premise and meaning behind everything that went before. Worst off it was done for no real reason at all but to create some pointless tension that had no meaning behind anything in the show except to be used as a crutch for the writters to fall back on because they couldn't stand the idea of doing stories not in TNG era where all the toys exist that they want to use. Again part of why STD does not work for me, everything they do is too easy. It is like they are in a city driving cop cars about and not in space.

Writing for shows is just deteriorating. Look at that new Swamp Thing movie it is like those morons did not research virus, CDC, or even simple police/marshal procedures. (hell add in hospital regs to that list too) I cannot watch 5 min of that show and not spot crap that is wrong poorly written or clearly out of the scope of knowledge of anyone on staff as they shot it and no one had balls to say UM, this shit is wrong. It is like watching a cop show scenario written by a 5yr old. AND then the producer and staff are completely at a loss as to why the show was canceled before it aired the 2nd episode.

Read something somewhere that if STD s3 happens it is only going to be 6 eps. Noticed the west has gotten lazy where we once got 52 to 26 eps we now get 13 if we are lucky and more often it is 8 10 or less. Look at Dr who. Though less of that we get the better as modern who is crap.

If Picard is as bad as I have read, they could just do like they did with all those near finished superhero flics back in the 90s. Pay it all off and shelf the contents in a vault in the hopes no one digs it up any time in the future. I cannot fathom how they could claim there is a pre kelvin universe of trek that is not the canon when they claimed it was based in the canon timeline. Just stupid excuses to not deal with a proper show bible.

Freak

They won't write the Picard series off, CBSAA is riding on it. Sure when the show starts they will get a huge intake from people interested in the show. But if the show is as bad as we are hearing, then the same thing happen with STD people will just cancel their subscription.
Either way CBSAA is doomed!

As for season lengths being cut down. They are just following the UK, the UK has been doing that for years. 6 to 10 episodes per season. The UK did it because they did not have the money to spend on a 20 to 26 episode season like the US could spend. (Smaller population and therefore smaller income.) This allowed Actors to go off and do different projects between seasons. However if you had a show that was low cost like a sit-com you would get some times two seasons per year and if they where big shows like Doctor Who or Only Fools and Horses you would also get a Christmas Special.

From what I am seeing US shows that are 8 to 15 episode long are mainly from cable or steaming services like Netflix.
The shows that still shown on the terrestrial channels like CBS, NBC etc that are still are full seasons of 20 to 26 episodes. But looking at those shows from this side of the pound it look like cheap shows to make. IE Cop shows or Hospital dramas so not a lot of CG work needed for them.

MadKoifish

CBSAA was doomed the day they decided to diversify the streaming environment by creating it. People will not go back to the cable ala carte bullshittery of paying 30usd for a single channel and bills in the 250usd a mo. As of yet they are starting to get up there with how many individual stream services one has to sub to to get shows.

Picard can be shelved I have seen studios over the years shelf complete or near complete films and those are a much larger outlay. One comes to mind was the 90s capt america film. That one was 10m back then. (seems it was released at some point as a D2V. Least I think it was capt america.

If they cannot rescue it, and if it costs too much they will easily write it off.

Cable stations started the half season or truncated series. Also started this split season bullshit where you get a 3 to 6mo gap or worse a 3mo gap every 3 to 4 eps.
I do not watch cop shows shit crime stories and the like so I dunno. The west seems obsessed with mystery crime crime murder, this shit outnumber anything else even sports in how much there is. Gotta wonder how much real crime is fed by it. But much of what I do watch has rarely had anything more than 13eps for the last decade or more.

scifidude79

The official explanation was that the Vulcans on Enterprise were following a corrupted version of Surak's teachings. When they found his original writings and Vulcans started reading them, things began to change. It's not something that would happen overnight, as it seemed to on the show. But, given the fact that all of Vulcan society was based Surak's teachings, that sort of social upheaval could happen in, say, a century. It's possible, but I agree that the Vulcans were badly treated on that show. One could easily say that many of the things they said and did, including their bigotry towards humans, was the exact opposite of logical. They were also very militaristic and trigger happy, not at all like the peace loving race we'd seen before.

I could see the Picard series being shelved. As MKF said, it wouldn't be the first time. The whole reason shows are shown to test audiences is to see how they'd fare with audiences. Movies that have had millions of dollars put into them have been shelved due to bad test audience reactions.

I think it's safe to say that STD isn't getting a third season. If they can't sell a series with one of Trek's most beloved stars and characters, why put money into your other unpopular show? Besides, if they shifted the money to Picard, where will more money come from to do STD?

I wouldn't be surprised if all of this "tainted" Trek crap came to an end and the stuff they have in the works was swept under the rug. Pay people and send them home. Then get a new group together to produce some decent Star Trek. Though, as MKF also said, writing has gone downhill. I don't watch a lot of TV anymore due to how badly written it is. Even movies have gone downhill. A lot of newer stuff seems to be written for millennials with no attention span.

Now, for my honest opinion: I've never been excited for the Picard series. I love TNG, but it won't be that. And, agreeing with MKF again, I don't want to get into Picard's personal issues. It's not a good premise for a show.

MadKoifish

They were bigoted towards social groups within their own society. Not something from a race who goes out to make contact with others. Add in all that crap with the andorians. All it was is a cheap way to humanize them make humans appear superior to. Whole point of vulcans was they were NOT human. Spock was there to be everything 60s Judaeo religion saw as evil and hateful in a visual sense and to show looks do not reflect the creature.

I was put off PICARD once they said it was not canon or Kelvin universe and the whole feeling of the promo, like Picard left SF in disgust or not on amicable terms. Maybe another ENEMY WITHIN bullshit seems the go to for Kurtz.

Anyhow I will be surprised if anything comes of it. Least STD we had ship art and other things leaking way before primary shooting. It is almost like they did things in reverse to get the ball rolling. All we know is that enterprise bridge is going to be redressed for it as it was shipped down to LA.

STD dunno. I have not seen viewing figs and avoid most of the sites as many like trekmovie are super biased and site runners seem to be on the dole. Only thing I have seen is a cut down ep count or just more 5 to 15min shorts which will just kill it as I will not watch youtube attention span trek. I really hate how everyone jumped onto that wagon of koolaid and started jump cutitng shit, GOD I HATE JUMPCUTS, pauls hardware is the WORST for it, drove me to quit watching his vids. Do a podcast if your going to cut every 4ms between words.

Personally I think all of this will taint trek enough CBS/Paramount will wash their hands of it and maybe even consider selling it off. I mean all the recent dvd/brd releases they complain; not enough sales etc in a era where more and more people refuse to buy media. be it due to how retarded brd is with all the adaptive DRM your always updating the firmware and god forbid if your manufacturer of your machine ceases to update it. Hell I have not had mine hooked up for 5yrs or more now out of frustration due to slow firmware updates and causing me to wait a hour to watch my movie. Other just hate having the "wall" of media. Though in the 90s that was like a badge of honor. hahaha.

As for JJ and bad robot, the company name really says it all. I dunno why anyone would want to work with them.

scifidude79

Jun 18, 2019, 09:47 pm #69 Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 09:50 pm by scifidude79
Yeah, the Vulcans really came out bad in "The Andorian Incident." They're bitchy with Archer for causing the whole situation, making it sound like it's his fault that the Andorians where there, even though they were there already when Enterprise arrived. They had that air of superiority about them, then Archer uncovered that they were in fact spying on the Andorians. So, they were lying the whole time and their "holier than thou" attitude was unjustified, everything the Andorians did was totally justified. But, did they admit that? No, they still bitched at Starfleet, acting like it was Archer's fault that their monastery got destroyed. Admiral Forrest even pointed out that it was due to their illegal listening post, and Soval still acted like it wasn't the Vulcans' fault. That's definitely not how the Vulcans acted in TOS or any other Star Trek.

Though, on a fun note, "The Andorian Incident" was directed by Roxanne Dawson. :) It's a good episode with a strong beginning for the Andorians and showing why they wind up trusting and working with humanity, but it was a bad episode for the badly written Vulcans.

I didn't realize there was an issue with the STD Blu-Rays, as I bought the first season on DVD. Though, I play discs on game consoles anyway, and they receive routine updates.

I agree, they'll make Picard go away. If they don't even have any VFX done, why waste the money paying someone to do them. It seems like all they have is some filmed stuff that they showed to a test audience, likely to gauge reactions before throwing more money into it. If people don't like the stuff they filmed, then throwing in some shiny VFX won't make them like it any better.

The good thing is, no matter what, Sir Patrick Stewart will get paid due to his pay or play contract. ;)

I actually think it might be good for Star Trek to go on another hiatus, at least for canon stuff. Let the novels and other licensed stuff start up again. Who cares if it goes with the movies an TV shows? The novels, comics an other licensed stuff never did before. Pick up trying to make Star Trek again in another 5-10 years, to let this stuff all simmer down in peoples' minds. You don't want to over saturate the market, that didn't work for Star Wars and it won't work for Star Trek.

MadKoifish

once encryption or the brd DRM is cracked they patch it so you have to connect your BRD player up to the internet to do a slow as shit firmware update. Something you often have to do weekly or monthly. KIM mobo manu recommend you do not do it unless something is broke as 1 in 10 flashes will corrupt the chip and fail. Maybe thge brd players have a dual system so if it corrupts or it sees a bad hash it can recover. Either case almost ewvery time I buy a new BRD I have to do a firmware update to play it.

I wholly doubt they back test these patches with every disc so in time old dics might stop working because of this. That or your manufacturer stops supporting a 8yr old device etc. Meaning youll need to BUY a new player. And if vcr and dvd players are a example each year the things get shittier and shittier. Record players are a good example unless you dropping 1200usd or 4000usd all the tricks and quality playback is a lost art. Same for cassette tape players. All the tricks are lost. So anything new is equal to 1966 era players, you know those crappy recording things from the 70s you saw at grade school.

DVD does not have this adaptive DRM. It is because DVD drm was hacked and they could not control it that brd got it. Heck BRD gen1 was cracked I think in hours of release. Dunno why they bother the effort to crack the disc and rip it to share or do whatever is a lot more of a hassle than to buy it. I guess they afraid for the 10 people who check discs out at librarys or mooch from friends ripping them. The loss of a few grand. Renting and ripping is a joke as many places it is cheaper to BUY the disc. So anyone ripping are people like me who want it on demand sans all the prgs and other unskippable bullshit like nike adverts and who do not want a room taken up with shelving with discs. All my dvds are in a closet atm as it all resides on a hdd with nice un-bitmapped subs and no Hearing Impaired events.
I play everything off a pc now anyhow. So much easier than dealing with components in huge racks. HEH one time I had 2 tall AV cabinets full of equalizers amps and devices MD, dvd, svcd, cd, turntable, cassette decks, LD, vcrs etc. Now I only have a sub amp head deck and a preamp for the sub amp to control vol and tone and cutoffs as the newer main amps these days are all tv display interface and layers of stupid menus to adjust simple crap like sub vol and roll off curve. Though roll off curves were not in the past an option most cutoffs were just a selection dail or hand made chokes. (Im talking about removing the sound above 80~400hz for the subwhoofers) I would like to have a nice old record player in my rack mostly for stuff I only have on record but those needles are not so affordable. Though much more so than in 97 (I saw one for my unit for 190usd then) I think they are down to 60usd now if they even make them for my table. Then again it is only for my import and sampler records, and a few that never saw a cd release.

HAH reminds me of the elusive Buckaroo banzai dvd back in the day before dvd went to the anamorphic recording IE a full frame 720X480 for letterbox vs hard coded black bars. Hated that on my early discs like stargate. Meaning it only had like 240pixels in height. That and pan and scan 16X9 off a 70mm widescreen.

rambling now lol.

Oh yeah possible trek thing, lego got minions from mega, wonder if they will pick trek as it was so common in the cusoo (ideas) subs they banned it as at the time they could not in anyway access the license. ATM it has expired with kreo and mega.

also ARGH RAGE this forum keeps shunting me to the top of the page vs the last post or even to my post after posting, jkust goes right up to the top. Is this a setting? I have wiped cookies multiple times to fix it and logged out and in.

scifidude79

Jun 19, 2019, 12:18 am #71 Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 12:19 am by scifidude79
The forum does the same thing to me. ::)

Yeah, I knew about Blu-Ray players needing updates, but I didn't know it was that bad. It wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers did stop supporting old players. That's how stuff works in the disposable society we've become. "Oh, this is five years old and out of date, time for a new one." You're right about the quality going down with newer players. Cheapo brand players have forced good companies like Sony to drop prices to stay competitive. Unless they find a way to cut manufacturing costs, the only other place to cut is quality.

It's been some time since I used a regular Blu-Ray player. I bought my PS4 in 2015. I also now have an XBOX One, so no need to have a dedicated disc player hooked up. Those both receive regular updates, so no worries about compatibility. It would be frustrating, though, to buy a disc or set, go home to watch it only to find out that it's incompatible. :(

I guess I was fortunate to get it on DVD. We had both where I work and I wasn't anticipating really liking it, so I didn't want to spend extra money on it. So, cheapness won the day. ;) Besides, the player upscales the picture to 1080p, so it's not like I lost a lot of quality.

scifieric

One of the lessons that I thought MIGHT have made an impression (until it became OBVIOUS that the lesson went completely unlearned) was that the Star Trek Discovery show runners could have let the Discovery move off to their new home (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it) and let the Captain Pike Show become a real thing.

People LOVED seeing Pike and Number One!  They REALLY could have kept that going and made a lot of people happy.  All in my humble opinion, of course.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifieric

Oh, yeah.  I keep being sent to the top as well.  I'll have to do some research when my PACS go-live is done.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

I want a Pike show. I love "The Cage." It's a shame they didn't pick up that version of TOS. I love what came out, but Jeffrey Hunter was wounded on the set of a movie in 1969, which led to him dying when he got home. If he'd been on Trek, that probably wouldn't have happened.