May 20, 2024, 06:48 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

MKF's Random Trek Crap!

Started by MadKoifish, May 08, 2019, 06:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MadKoifish

May 19, 2019, 03:05 am #45 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:14 am by MadKoifish
Do they have a community to send bugs or have hotfixes for dodgy bits of code?

Lately I see a rolldown thing that says loading or something as it jerkily vanishes within like .25 sec when posting stuff or changing stuff. ( I have been hunting that element down to just zap it on my end)

Opening threads by the time above the last poster is not taking me to the current post but randomly dumps me 5 to 10 posts back.

The mentioned draft saving (yeah saved like 8 drafts in the time I typed this.)

URL dodgyness with stock or base bb code. As well as the forum using non standard wysiwyg bb code

I would think that there might be fixes or patches out there for it. Some could be corrected by just disabling the feature. Drafts are a bit pointless other than the once a year happenstance someone closes a tab or crashes their computer while posting.

I have not tried any advanced coding or other ways to attach things like videos etc. But so far just 4 annoyances or wtf things that I am sure someone should have noticed or likely patched or fixed.

Oh and if I really want to pick nits I guess I can say the courier font is a bit gross in the post menu, exp as it is tahoma in the edit post area. Just a load of small "uh" things like in the post reply there is no grab section to adjust the field size while it does exist in the edit post field. This is all smf I think as someone is likely just doing one thing while another does something else or pinching bits of code without leveling the style guides.

hell beats F3d atm database error etc. Think that place the software is just eating the server cpu alive.

scifidude79

SMF is open source, so anyone can fix bugs, etc.

Though, it looks like we're on an RC version, so it's possible there's some work to do still. Most of the SMF forums I frequent use older versions, without all of these quirks.

Quote from: MadKoifish on May 19, 2019, 03:05 amOpening threads by the time above the last poster is not taking me to the current post but randomly dumps me 5 to 10 posts back.

It drops me at the top of the thread, forcing me to scroll down.

MadKoifish

Quote from: scifidude79 on May 19, 2019, 03:15 amSMF is open source, so anyone can fix bugs, etc.

Though, it looks like we're on an RC version, so it's possible there's some work to do still. Most of the SMF forums I frequent use older versions, without all of these quirks.

Quote from: MadKoifish on May 19, 2019, 03:05 amOpening threads by the time above the last poster is not taking me to the current post but randomly dumps me 5 to 10 posts back.

It drops me at the top of the thread, forcing me to scroll down.

Odd that, it used to take me to the post that related to the timestamp. But in the last few days it dumps me X# of posts back. It is likely a cookie issue. I know here and sfm keep timing me out like on a 5day basis so I have to sign back in so the password name cookie I just forced them to expire in 2050. The forum soft at SFM has cows when it signs you out and persists as your not signed in after doing so. I have to close firefox and restart it to get the tabs to realign. It lacks a equivalent to a smart recent posts list as it lists all posts in a timeline. So 50 some odd images load at full size in the background from various hosts every time you check the recent posts. VS just showing a list of threads updated since last user activity.
Oh well
But yeah I am thinking there should be some adjustments or patches one could apply to possibly fix bugs.

MadKoifish

May 19, 2019, 03:37 am #48 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:39 am by MadKoifish
Since I keep kicking this thread up with unrelated content here are some samples of todays work.

figure those insets could be a area where sensors for tracking et could be for the suttle ops and be an area where modules can be pulled and changed out etc. All the consoles and stuff back up to this area with enough room for a access bay to connect things up or change them out.

scifidude79

At least you're doing it to your own thread. ;)

Loving the work, as always. :)

MadKoifish

Stuff on those radiator fins or whatever they are.

scifidude79

scifieric

That is certainly beautiful work, Madkoifish.

As for the errors that keep cropping up, I could make a thread for them and we could put screen captures or quotes in there.  This was the only dark theme for this version I could find.  And you're right, I did select the absolutely latest version.  Sorry guys.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Freak

Dan Loving that viewing area and the windows.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

MadKoifish

Mostly just decals and pushing some things about and defining what was once just decal detail. Thinking of maybe going from a pair of phasers to a single unit as it just seems to crowded up there. Sadly this is the only place for them that gives a clear view due to those fins and struts.

scifidude79

It looks good. I like they symmetry of the dual phasers.

scifieric

3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Freak

Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

MadKoifish

More hull details and junk around windows as well as the docking collar obs and inspection decks. The upper divided floors are mostly for upper ship ops and inspection. Most operations related to small docking collar ships would I assume be near to fully automated. This is a area where station and drydock supplies and collars would lock in. The stuff flanking the landing "pad" would have ports for transfers of materiel.

And yes, I have some smoothing groups to deal with.

scifieric

Oh man, that looks beautiful!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!