May 09, 2024, 06:29 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Twin Ion Engine

Started by oovebei, Jan 11, 2020, 11:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prime_8

yeah.

I have experimented in baking texture to mesh in blender 2.8 , whole installations form a heightmap. I wonder how tight patterns would do?

oovebei

I may well discuss this with you before I make any firm calls on it. I am very open to options right now.

Prime_8

you know me,  I live in texture world especially now we have so manly ways rite in Blender.

of course, if you can sort out a dynamic material vs meshing.   meshing on that level is insane IMO ... but would be super cool tho'.

scifieric

The only thing about trying to bake height maps and such into Blender AND have it create actual shapes out of textures is the high polygon count.  You have to give the mesh something to work with.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're trying to get FAST render times, you might want to do it by hand.

John's work is always terrific.  He puts a lot of THOUGHT into what he does.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Prime_8

yeah.

I have had some success with the decimate tool.

it seems to prune less influential polys form high poly meshes when used from height maps.

scifieric

Quote from: Prime_8 on Feb 04, 2020, 01:12 amyeah.

I have had some success with the decimate tool.

it seems to prune less influential polys form high poly meshes when used from height maps.
Neat!  I saw that it was there, just never used it.  The name kind of threw me.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Prime_8

Feb 04, 2020, 03:18 pm #21 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020, 03:25 pm by Prime_8
literally i think the Latin meaning is destroy or remove in tens, or remove at least a 1/10th of something .
decimating an army of 1000 troops is 1% .  lol just kinda sounds worse than it is . but decimating a army of 20 .. that's an other thing. LOL

but yeah i take a crazy high poly with subdivide on . apply height map teh aply all modifiers .. then try decimate modifier.

i have a pic of one jobby some place .. i'll go look.

this one i used it to make the base by  turning a concept drawing to height map , and the doing some more hand edits after to clean it up .
http://3dscifi.com/3dscifi.com/eric/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26.0;attach=225;image

and this is an other example , teh main body was a decimated height map ..
http://3dscifi.com/3dscifi.com/eric/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26.0;attach=425;image

scifieric

That is very cool!  And yeah, "deci" makes sense with 10.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

oovebei

You see this is the problem these days, in the beginning we have Blender Internal Render and a few options, now we can go absolutely insane if we don't mind waiting. It's all an odd balancing act :)

scifieric

I think of it as Moore's Law ... but for Blender!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

oovebei

Food for thought for sure, not much progress to show right now it's all greebles and limited time on my part.. I am trying to throw together a quick blog so I can host my own images as well.

Tonight is my first test run with Cycles to see how she turned out, I even went as far as writing 'Lockheed' in Aurebesh as best as I could.

Prime_8

looks good to me. getting some AO makes things look juicy

scifieric

Quote from: oovebei on Feb 07, 2020, 01:36 amFood for thought for sure, not much progress to show right now it's all greebles and limited time on my part.. I am trying to throw together a quick blog so I can host my own images as well.

Tonight is my first test run with Cycles to see how she turned out, I even went as far as writing 'Lockheed' in Aurebesh as best as I could.
Fantastic!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

Nice looking greebles so far.

oovebei

Apologies for the lack on updates been working like a loon. But week off quite soon so please stay tuned!