May 10, 2024, 12:31 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Lord Other's artwork and art research

Started by Lord Other, Jun 30, 2020, 10:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Other

Jun 30, 2020, 10:48 pm Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020, 10:52 pm by Lord Other
First things first- Hello!  I'm looking to expand my artistic repertoire, and in that vein I'm going to be trying my hand at learning some new (to me) 3d software programs.  Which ones you may ask?  I'm thinking of Blender, but I see a number of others out there, and I am curious what some of the other folks out there would recommend, and for what purposes and reasons. 

That said, I'm going to start things off in this 2D Artwork thread with my newly completed art project, which some of you might have seen in passing on TrekBBS or perhaps somewhere on Facebook.  These images are all a part of the Great Awakening- my homage to David Kimble's Star Trek: The Motion Picture Blueprints.  2020 is the 40th anniversary of its publishing, and to celebrate I intend to produce at least three portfolio packets in a similar format to his work (of which, this is the first).  To wit, here are the sheets and accompanying art associated with the Great Awakening.  I hope you enjoy them. 

First up is my take of Rick Sternbach's Baton Rouge class prototype cruiser..

The next up is the Class C shuttle based upon one of Matt Jefferies' initial design sketches for the shuttlecraft Galileo, and some components of a B-45 Bomber canopy from "The Cage"..

And finally, the Cheshire Cat class Kzinti warship, based in part on the AARU Dalek Ship from the 1966 film, "Daleks - Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D."

So as is always the case, comment, critique and feedback are welcome!  Thanks!
"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done." -Robert A. Heinlein
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -Death from Terry Pratchett's Hogfather

scifieric

Are you saying that you created all these blueprints?  If so, then well done!  Did you mean for them to look old?  If so, then nice work!

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Lord Other

Jul 01, 2020, 01:52 am #2 Last Edit: Jul 01, 2020, 02:29 am by Lord Other
Quote from: scifieric on Jun 30, 2020, 11:37 pmAre you saying that you created all these blueprints?  If so, then well done!  Did you mean for them to look old?  If so, then nice work!

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood.

No problem good sir.  The blues are indeed my work, based in part on the sources listed.  To start, Mr. Sternbach was kind enough to post the side view of the Baton Rouge design missing from the publication of the Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology, and I drew the dorsal view and the painting from that source as well to draft the blues.

The Class C shuttlecraft design is based primarily on this design sketch..

..from the biography of Walter "Matt" Jefferies, shown below..

I laid out and drafted the design of the Cheshire Cat class based in part upon this model..

..which I felt conformed to and complimented the 60s-design aesthetic of which TOS Star Trek is a part.

As for the aging and look of the blues, yep that was intentional.  I wanted them to look like the blues from 1980 in which they are a homage to. So thank you on all counts good sir.
"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done." -Robert A. Heinlein
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -Death from Terry Pratchett's Hogfather

Freak

Frist of all, Welcome Lord Other.

As for which 3D software to go with. from what I am seeing they are all roughly as good a each other and only different in minor things. Are you will to pay for a licence each year? If so MAX or Lightwave could be for you.
If you don't want to or can't pay for a licence. Then Blender is your best bet.
With Blender being open source it always improving and some cases has surpassed Max and Lightwave. (more Studio was actually turning to Blender to do their FX works.)

Also if you go with Blender, if you have any issues. There are a few of us here that use it, so if you have any issues. there will also be someone able to help or point you in the right direction.

I have to say I love those blueprints. You really did a great job with the aging. I also love the little kids drawing on the first one.
If you had not said you had made them, I would have thought they were the real deal.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

scifidude79

Welcome to the site, Lord Other. Firstly, let me compliment you on your 2D work. Your blueprint sheets look like they're legitimately from the '70s. I know because I have the original Enterprise blueprints. :)

For 3D software, I'd definitely suggest trying Blender first. It's free, so there's nothing to lose. Plus, as Freak said, it's got a lot of really great features and can definitely surpass Lightwave in some areas. (I use Lightwave, but I've used Blender too) Also, there's a really friendly community around Blender and there are lots of tutorials to get you started.