News:

SMF - Just Installed!

MKF's Random Trek Crap!

Started by MadKoifish, May 08, 2019, 06:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scifieric

3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Angry White Woman

One of your best designs to date and among the best Trek designs anywhere IMHO.

One request...try out doing away with the giant transparent red domes for the Bussard Collectors..I always felt that the STMP - STTUD era take on them was more advanced and "believable". I don't know why all the STNG era series "re-incorporated" that design trait.

That's just a personal pref...Regardless I really like this design ALOT!

MadKoifish

Not a huge massive change been busy with other things as well as not so sure where I want to go with things.

mostly rounding off bits and tuning bits and parts. I also stuffed the bussard cage from the old ones. I think I will complicate the LUM elements int he bussard more than what I have right now.

scifieric

3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

MadKoifish

Adding more stuff and going through and cleaning up angles etc.

scifidude79

scifieric

Tantalizing!  Makes me want to see inside!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Angry White Woman

But but...why do Bussard collectors "glow" at all??? Annnndddd if they collect hydrogen particles how do those particle pass through something solid enough to obscure the internal workings behind a red fun bubble?

Tee Hee

MadKoifish

Bussards collect "rarified matter" be it hydrogen or other particles.

Glow could be excited particles. We already know about cherenkov radiation. Also see ion drives. Big permeable domes, could be any number of things can explain this be it a filtering system or just spacial "areo" dynamics of some sort to keep that bit from ripping off at high sublight or warp? We already use permeable filters to define specific matter to be collected or filtered out. These are working on a atomic level. Solid matter has very different properties at this level of scale. EG space between atoms are vastly larger than the atoms themselves. Think how can atoms move in metals?

Also scale, what might appear solid may not be, that huge glass looking dome might be a shitload of spun polymer, or any orther sort of strange meta material a civilization who can bend subspace into bubbles and negate time dialation as well as produce gravity out of a metal plate. If anything grav plating gives me more pause than anything else in trek.

Keep in mind each era described in canon these particular purposes for the collectors. 1 fuel for the fusion cores 2 hydrogen for the anti hydrogen 3 deuterium and other matter (tng) 4 whatever was handy to scoop (various PLOTS) So this could mean that what was a bussard in tos vs tmp vs tng can be vastly different. Consider the speeds of the ships. Also keep in mind some sources (those tech manuals) state the bussards are only used at sublight. I would expect they do funnel something at warp given the location of such collectors, near the edges of the warp "bubble"

Also consider not thinking science but thinking in terms of identity and tv/film. It is the reason for the bridge blister, the spacing out of the ships form etc. All so the tv viewer can identify parts of the ship or locations inside to exterior features without a 4yr doctorate. So moving bits stuff in the junk so to speak gives the viewer the hint that these "do" something.

There is plenty of nerd discussions about this on the net. Some explain things much better with empirical results EG MATH and quoting actual papers I am too lazy to find. Keep in mind the bussard in trek is lightly stolen from a bussard ramjet in that it has a large web to energy to collect rarefied matter. Bussard's idea was to accelerate that matter like a "jet" and shoot it out the ships arse.

An what does it matter? It has nothing to do with this thread. Want to question science or looks of devices open a thread for it pressuring this way will not get me to change the development of the model. In my book canon dictates they are arranged in this manner and I have some leeway to work but I will not work on trek and divert drastically from the template or the universe restrictions or technology. If I wanted to do this I would model something not trek or federation. It has already been mentioned this ship was planned for use in SOTL so this puts even more restrictions to stay within canon. (even though 2021 might not happen so is kinda moot)

If anything I would rather see the bussards do things, like ramp up ramp down. but this is moot to my work as well as I do not do animation. I cannot see doing anything when a 4k scene would take 4hrs or more per frame as a composite output. (actually longer as I would have to render at least 4 passes per frame)

Angry White Woman

Sep 14, 2019, 01:04 am #549 Last Edit: Sep 14, 2019, 01:07 am by Angry White Woman
Oh lord...

because he SERIOUSLY needs one.

scifidude79

Awe, c'mon, we all know why they glow: It looks cool.

MadKoifish

Sep 14, 2019, 04:18 am #551 Last Edit: Sep 14, 2019, 04:38 am by MadKoifish
what do you expect when you pick a scab.

Angry White Woman

I expect you to realize that I respect your talent and ability with substantial temerity. Frankly your design ability and command of 3DSMax is top shelf and some of the best I've seen and if it was up to me your designs would be featured on screen in all Trek incarnations ...I also expect you to not get so agitated when I give you constructive criticism or make suggestions (or especially when I'm poking fun) and realize such is not an insult of either your talent or your artistic integrity.

You're damn good MK, no one could ever say otherwise, yet do you want honest feedback or smoke up your ass? If comments arn't anything other than oooohhhs and ahhhhhhh compliments do you not want anything else?

I've been snippity with some crits I've gotten on my own work and it's not cool to be that way...think about it.

MadKoifish

Sep 15, 2019, 12:50 am #553 Last Edit: Sep 15, 2019, 02:03 am by MadKoifish
Crits is one thing what you spout at times are insults and derogatory or demanding. I considered the comment and chose not to take it. You replied with snark and I replied with a explanation of why and to rebuke the snyde question, and got more attitude. It is like a tantrum for not getting your way. Did this with that people SHOULD model other things demands in the past and railed me in the past in the same manner. Constructive crits is not what you do when your first comment is dismissed. What your doing is not. Making fun of someone or their choices or even the subject matter is not a way to convince someone of your suggestion.

so YOU think about it.

I stand by my comment, I must follow canon and contemporary ships, and this is not a place to digress into explanations and other things relating to the tech of the show. In the future I will just not waste my time explaining or defending my decisions. NOT here to DEFEND my choices. Because in the end this is MY ship MY work. Yes I will consider suggestions but in the end it is me who decides to use them or to take a pass on them.

With that said, do not bother replying your on my ignore list and I will ask Eric to delete any posts not on topic.

Angry White Woman

Sep 15, 2019, 11:09 am #554 Last Edit: Sep 15, 2019, 03:01 pm by Angry White Woman
Wow...just wow.

Why post work on a public forum if all one wants is praise and worship?

Nobody insulted you MK...you've done this before not just to me but you've flipped out on others over at SFM who dared give any comment to you that diverged from blanket praise. You have a temper and really need to work on your ability to accept constructive criticisms or suggestions.

Im really at a loss here...the only person I actually criticized was Matt Jeffries because MK sure as hell didnt come up with the concept of a Bussard Collector now did he?

I was poking fun at the concept IN GENERAL. Only someone with a bone to pick or a bias would read straight through the very susbstantial compliments I gave above then manufacturers insult out of thin air. You have a problem young man. You're egotistical and lack humility or any willingness to simply have fun on a message board.

Get my way? That's literally insane to accuse me of that and nothing I remotely care about..Do you actually believe I go to bed at night crying over your art?

You really need to settle down a bit. You take the things I say wayyyyyy too off hand and is just no reason for it. Its really sort if ridiculous how you respond. I mean you really outta re read what I posted.