May 20, 2024, 11:12 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Sherlock Holmes

Started by scifieric, May 05, 2019, 02:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

scifieric

For my money, Jeremy Brett gave the greatest portrayal of Sherlock Holmes.

I bought (and received on Friday) the Blu-Ray collection of the Granada series, including the movies.  Although I love to see these in any form, even on YouTube, I cannot convey how wonderful it is to see these so sharp and clear.

There are other gems in this series, not the least of which is Edward Hardwicke who gave (for me) THE definitive take on Dr. John H. Watson.

David Burke had portrayed Watson in the first season, and he did so with an almost 1940's take of the bumbling biographer who follows a remarkable man and transcribes his adventures.

Hardwicke did something altogether more remarkable.  Hardwicke's Watson is SMART.  He is a surgeon and war hero that you can believe is a surgeon and war hero.  A man who could solve problems on his own with a greater frequency than the local constabulary.  But his own superior intelligence is eclipsed by that of his friend, Sherlock Holmes.

My favorite episode is The Devil's Foot.  You can see the low-resolution version here, but the low-resolution does not stop appreciation of either the acting, nor the intensity of the story.

I enjoy almost every portrayal of Holmes, but as I indicated earlier, Jeremy Brett's is my absolute favorite.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

I've never seen those. Though, I'm not too up to date on Holmes. I've seen the Guy Ritchie films, and the first season of Elementary, but that's about it.

scifieric

Quote from: scifidude79 on May 05, 2019, 09:35 pmI've never seen those. Though, I'm not too up to date on Holmes. I've seen the Guy Ritchie films, and the first season of Elementary, but that's about it.
I love the series Elementary.  I think it is superior to the Cumberbatch version.  But I enjoy them all.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Lee

I've read the books and seen the Basil Rathbone movies but thats about all. :/

scifidude79

Not quite Sherlock Holmes, though based on it, I love the Disney movie The Great Mouse Detective. I picked it up for about $10 at work recently, which is really cheap for a Disney Blu-Ray. It was likely so low because it's not one of their most popular films, but that worked out for me because I love it. :D

scifieric

Quote from: Lee on May 06, 2019, 11:07 pmI've read the books and seen the Basil Rathbone movies but thats about all. :/
The Basil Rathbone movies are one of the MAIN reasons I love the Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke version so much.  Watson in the Basil Rathbone versions was a bumbler.  Hardwicke as Watson is superb.  Also, they take their inspiration for their episodes from the actual stories.  They jazz them up a bit, put Holmes out in the field, chasing criminals when in the stories, he solved them (for the most part) from an armchair.

I'm watching a couple of episodes tonight as I type.
Quote from: scifidude79 on May 06, 2019, 11:19 pmNot quite Sherlock Holmes, though based on it, I love the Disney movie The Great Mouse Detective. I picked it up for about $10 at work recently, which is really cheap for a Disney Blu-Ray. It was likely so low because it's not one of their most popular films, but that worked out for me because I love it. :D
That's awesome!  I may have to go pick up a copy ... or perhaps I can get it from Amazon or stream it from some service.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!