May 09, 2024, 09:58 am

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

What You're Up To

Started by scifieric, May 04, 2019, 01:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scifidude79

May 19, 2019, 04:08 am #60 Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:17 am by scifidude79
And, even just trying to open the file in Lightwave on WINE results in a crash. ::)

So, I guess I'm starting over. Or, building something else.

Edit: I got it to load, after I changed from the default 4 view layout to a single view. But, I can't export it because the license won't work (it's tied to the Windows firewall, of all things) and "Discovery" mode won't allow me to export a file that large.

MadKoifish

LWO though is as bad if not worse than say MAX in various "flavors of" A older release of blend might open it but who knows. I found more often old LWO if they open lack anything but the mesh itself.

Bites but 7your fairly fast so redoing it might be quicker than arguing with formats and import/export. Sucks about the win install. If you paid Id just AHEM it. Though I often AHEM things now after buying it to break the auto this auto that or mallware like crap they sneak in as security patches as the tools to AHEM it disable those services automatically so I do not have to spend 8 hours changing registry entries altering group policies and physically deleting DLLS and other msi files all over the place.

Dunno what the hell I am going to do when I have to buy new cpus. . . . I think intel has a old instructions version of the most recent chips so it will run win7. Refuse to deal with win 10 as long as it has that enforced keylogger, auto updates, and does shit with other hdw on the network as well as botnets using my services for their profiteering. RAGE lol

Sadly nothing I use works in anything but win, some have mac versions but mac is worse than win10. I can only see max exploding in linux, and I doubt any of my paint tools will run in it. Not seen anything that comes close to what I need. Just pseudo photo editors pretending to be art progs.

scifidude79

Yeah, redoing it is probably going to be faster. I don't really want to mess with Lightwave anymore, in Windows or in Linux. I was never that enthusiastic about LW2018, I was just trying to get my money's worth out of it. I guess I did that.

The Windows license came with a computer I bought at tax time last year. With the cost of the components and what I paid, the OEM license was essentially free. I'd never buy an OEM license outright. If I were to purchase Windows 10 again, it would be fully licensed. But, I don't really want to do that either.

The computer itself was a waste of money. A little over a year in (just past the warranty, of course) and it stopped booting right away each time. That means either the processor, RAM or mobo were going bad, making it best to just replace all three. The AMD graphics card doesn't work right in Linux. Once I booted it with the new system, I had weird lines all over the lower quarter of my screen. Installing the "Pro" AMD graphics driver was no help. So, out of everything that came in this $720 (sale price) computer, the case and its fans, the PSU and the hard drive are still in operation. I had to put in a brand new motherboard, CPU and RAM, and I put in a Nvidia GTX950 that I've had for over a year. It's a good system, but if I'd realized the original computer was going to be garbage, I'd have just built one instead of buying one prebuilt.

Intel keeps having security issues with their chips. Foil hats are claiming it's so they can force people to buy new CPUs. **shrugs** Doesn't bother me, I went with a Ryzen 5 this time around. As for stuff working with Win7, it's no longer supported by Microsoft, so I'm assuming hardware support will be dropping off too. It sucks for you, though, as I know you prefer 7.

scifidude79

Ugh. Schematics.

The side view isn't an issue, and the length of the ship is consistent between the top and side (the images are at the same scale.) However, when I adjust the front view for the height, notice how the edges of the saucer go outside of the box. Needless to say, the box is the same size in each view. ::)

But, fortunately, I'm not building a Connie refit. These are just for size reference. Still, it's annoying, and a pretty common problem.

MadKoifish

Yeah intel is the only way to retain anything NOT win10 for ms. AFAIK nothing AMD supports anything but win10. Intel at least is selling a cpu that has compatibility for win7/8 with all the newer IO. IE NVME newer pcie usb etc. I could suffer win8 as I run it on my media pc but win10 no way. Probably have to give 3d up if I have to move to linux.

scifidude79

I'm trying Blender one more time. But, if I don't like it this time, it's probably going to be game over for me as far as 3D.

scifidude79

So, I'm dorking around in Blender. Not much yet, but I'm trying to figure stuff out. It doesn't help that I keep trying to hit Lightwave shortcuts and I have to keep searching for the correct ones.

Anyway, it's the start of a 24th century cruiser. The size is the same as the Connie, that's why I was lining up Connie schematics. Not much yet, the secondary hull took a lot of planning and moving stuff before subdividing it.

Also, if you've never rendered with 12 threads, you haven't lived yet. ;D

scifieric

I can't wait to see your TMP Enterprise!

Nice work on your cruiser!

If you want a project that turns out a star ship while learning in Blender, I know some idiot who did a whole series! ;)
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Freak

Nice Start Chris.

Quote from: scifieric on May 19, 2019, 02:17 pmIf you want a project that turns out a star ship while learning in Blender, I know some idiot who did a whole series! ;)
O? who did that and where can I follow it? ;)
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

scifidude79

Quote from: scifieric on May 19, 2019, 02:17 pmI can't wait to see your TMP Enterprise!

I'm only using those schematics for size reference for the 24th century cruiser I'm building.

Quote from: scifieric on May 19, 2019, 02:17 pmIf you want a project that turns out a star ship while learning in Blender, I know some idiot who did a whole series! ;)

I've thought about doing that about 20 times now, but I'm trying to get away from the TOS era.

scifieric

Well, I can't wait to see whatever you create!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifieric

I call this one "Entering Orbit".

Politely asking for suggestions.
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Freak

Quote from: scifidude79 on May 19, 2019, 09:47 pmI've thought about doing that about 20 times now, but I'm trying to get away from the TOS era.

You can still do use it, just modify it for the ship your building as you go along.

Quote from: scifieric on May 20, 2019, 02:25 amI call this one "Entering Orbit".

Politely asking for suggestions.
That's a great looking Picture Eric.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

scifieric

Quote from: Freak on May 20, 2019, 07:08 amThat's a great looking Picture Eric.
Thank you, Dean!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

Quote from: Freak on May 20, 2019, 07:08 amYou can still do use it, just modify it for the ship your building as you go along.

I could, but I don't think it would be helpful to my work flow. I remember how to build things in Blender, it's just a matter of remembering shortcuts. A quick web search gets me answers fast.

However, I definitely plan to tune in when I get to the part with the registry and materials. I'm interested in seeing how he applies the registries to the ships and to see how he gets such beautiful materials. Materials in Cyccles is still one of my weaker points. Modeling is essentially the same as Lightwave, only with minor differences.