May 04, 2024, 11:45 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Shaw's 2D stuff

Started by Shaw, May 29, 2019, 01:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Freak

That was a cool Phaser, but I always loved the commutator and seeing inside it.
Here we are. Born to be Kings, were the Princes of the Universe!

My DeviantArt Page: https://www.deviantart.com/micetich
My Wordpress Blog: https://freakart89.wordpress.com/

scifieric

Shaw, that is absolutely top notch work.

Dean, you saw the communicator more than once!  It was also the remote control for Spock in the episode Spock's Brain!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

Sure, because everyone fondly remembers "Spock's Brain." :P

scifieric

Quote from: scifidude79 on Jan 09, 2020, 07:46 amSure, because everyone fondly remembers "Spock's Brain." :P
Well ... they SHOULD!  LOL!  That made me laugh!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Shaw

Thanks guys!

Quote from: scifidude79 on Jan 09, 2020, 07:46 amSure, because everyone fondly remembers "Spock's Brain." :P
Quote from: scifieric on Jan 09, 2020, 01:45 pmWell ... they SHOULD!  LOL!  That made me laugh!
So here is the interesting thing...there were at least two communicators made for The Cage. One was altered for use in Spock's Brain (and is the one I know survived), and the other was altered for use in That Which Survives.

While both had a set of 10 buttons added to their face, they were painted quite differently. Fortunately the Spock's Brain version wasn't painted on the back side, which let me view most of the internal components.

And no, I didn't re-watch Spock's Brain while doing this research.

scifidude79

Thanks Shaw. I was trying to remember the other episode it appeared in with all of the buttons like it had in "Spock's Brain."

Shaw

I made a little more progress on the communicator...

And I've been putting together an inventory of The Cage props. Right now it seems (to me) that there were 2 communicators and 4 hand lasers.

The communicators were repurposed during the third season, one for Spock's Brain and the other for That Which Survives.

The two hero hand lasers had the recesses for the flip up sights, the background two were missing this feature. The main hero hand laser had the two rectangular features on one side, the other was missing them. Both were redressed for WNMHGB, but even though the secondary hero was missing those rectangular features, no typewriter keys were added to that side.

scifieric

Quote from: Shaw on Jan 18, 2020, 12:00 pmI made a little more progress on the communicator...
Shaw ... that's just BEAUTIFUL!

EXCELLENT WORK!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

Shaw

Thanks!

So I think this is about as far as I'm going to go on this for now...

I'll put some more effort into both props once I start making physical versions of them.

scifieric

Quote from: Shaw on Jan 21, 2020, 11:35 amThanks!

So I think this is about as far as I'm going to go on this for now...

I'll put some more effort into both props once I start making physical versions of them.
I've seen first hand your skill at making models.  If you make more than one of these communicators, I'm certainly willing to purchase one from you!

I can't wait to see what you make!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!

scifidude79

That sheet on the communicator looks fantastic.

Shaw

Thanks guys!

Quote from: scifieric on Jan 21, 2020, 10:45 pmI've seen first hand your skill at making models.  If you make more than one of these communicators, I'm certainly willing to purchase one from you!
Well, the last time I looked into buying the vintage rotary electroswitches they were being sold in boxes of six to ten, so the odds are that I'd make more than one (if I get around to making them).

Here are updated versions of the landing party equipment from The Cage (on 11"x17" sheets)...

I also spent a bit more time recently on the original plans of the Enterprise, these are 11"x17" representations...

And for those wanting something bigger, here are large scale versions (actual size when printed at 150 dpi)...

I left the paper aspect out on these.

scifieric

SPECTACULAR work, Shaw!

By the way, this almost never happens, but my wife was looking at your shuttle craft on my desk (I'm working on a shuttle craft project at the moment) and she complimented your skills.  She knows these pieces are all yours.

She NEVER does that.  Well done!
3DSciFi.com  Welcome!